Enabling the ultimate in virtue signalling.
Upon request, and with prior arrangement, the Berkeley Police Department will "symbolically" arrest you, allowing the ultimate in virtue signalling, without any real risk. Now you too can appear cool and edgy, and earn bragging rights, simply by filling out the proper forms!
From the Berkeley Police Departments Event Planning Checklist:
The Berkeley Police and City of Berkeley want to facilitate the safe expression of constitutionally protected speech. We want to work in partnership with you to hold a safe and peaceful event. The following items are things that we recommend you do to ensure a safe event.
Go to City of Berkeley Website
- Download and complete forms
- File them at the Recreation Department
- Purpose of protest
- Date(s) and time of event
- Route of march, if planned
- Estimated attendance
- Organizing person or group
- Number of organizers
- How to identify and contact organizers/monitors at the event (hats, shirts, armbands)
- What will they be wearing?
- Will they have mobile phones?
- Do you want symbolic arrests?
- If so, where and when?
- Inform people of date, time and location
- Encourage peaceful expression and lawful behavior by attendees
- Discourage certain items from being brought to the event
- Make organizers/monitors visible through clearly identifiable clothing
- Coordinate at the event with uniformed bicycle officers, they will help facilitate the event
- Stay on your planned march route, if applicable
- Maintain communication with officers throughout the event and notify them of any change in plans